Friday 10 October 2008

A delightful new blog

Not only so because of the eloquence of its language, but also because of the task it sets itself: to read through Barth's Church Dogmatics, five pages a day, in five years. Here's what the author of Zoommatics has to say about himself:

Karl Barth was a bit of a legend. As far as theology goes, he was a savage. But I love him all the more because outside of his printed theology he served in the role of theologian; he had a sense of humour about himself and his job, he had the integrity and courage to stand up to the German government when it was the responsibility of all Christians to do it (a responsibility that sadly too few took up), he had healthy interests outside of the field (most charmingly in his passionate love of Mozart’s music) and to top it all off, he was friends with Dietrich Bonhoeffer. What more could you ask for? Eh?
Still, he wrote 12000 words a day. So catching up on all the thoughts he had to share is quite a project and dealing with his titannic and masterful Church Dogmatics was something I always wanted to do. Over the next five years I hope to do it and use this here little blog as a kind of sketchpad to keep track of the odd note or excellent tidbit that must be saved and stored and promulgated for the betterment of all humanity!
So that is what this is, Zoomtard’s reading of Barth’s Church Dogmatics. Zoommatics, if you will.
I, too, hope one day to read through what looks like an utter masterpiece (the CD, I mean, not the blog), but seeing as I read like a snail I may well have to make do with Zoomtard's witty and amusing summaries of whatever has caught his attention this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words Phil but I am already behind. This theology degree would be a freaking lark if it wasn't for Greek. Why didn't the divine authors write in a language that used the arabic alphabet?! Eh?

(Probably not a line of argument I should use in an essay any time soon.)

The idea that there are people out there participating in the reading of Barth through the blog is what is definitely going to cause me to take the time to read steadily- so thanks for "the props", as the young people no doubt no longer say. :)

Phil Sumpter said...

Well, I look forward to your input. I agree with you on the Greek, by the way. I'm trying to teach myself and it sucks. The New Testament should have been written in Hebrew. Much easier.